Pain experience of eye surgery

exchange

Postby exchange » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, the flap is like opening a can to where you can just flip the lid up, but a small portion is still attached, then it is just flipped back over and attaches rather rapidly.

Healing may be relative, speed of healing may be relative, but a lot of information is not. For instance, LASIK doesn't work on the "back of the eyeball" as another posting said.

Pupillary diameter is relevant, but if the LASIK is done right, all depending on the situation, it shouldn't really affect the pupillary response. That statement was made in reference to this statement, "when they do this they r doing the surgery to your pupil on the daytime light and not to the night time and so your pupil after this surgery can not fully open anymore", in a posting above. I just didn't want anyone to think LASIK had much to do with the pupil itself.

I did recommend an excellent website, but said in two places that you must discuss LASIK with the doctor who would be performing the LASIK. Nothing is as important as discussing it with the doctor who examines you and will perform the operation.

I am not a doctor and I do not play one on TV, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

MartinoSit

Postby MartinoSit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:40 am

Hi girls,
While Im bored stupid here at home, I thought Id take the time to write about my recent laser eye surgery in case anyone was interested in doing it. My near vision is still extremely blurry so forgive any typos

To start with, I should mention that I have had the ASL/PRK procedure done as opposed to Lasik.
I originally went in for my consultation expecting to have the Lasik treatment but due to weird shaped eyeballs or whatever I was unsuitable

So the pros and cons of each for those that have the choice:
Lasik: The procedure itself is slightly more uncomfortable than PRK. The machine suctions your eyeballs forward till they black out, they cut the flap, laser does its thing, flap goes back and hey presto In a day or two, perfect vision. The speedy recovery is the main draw card of this method.. the only con is the potential to dislodge the flap even years later from a blow to the head although that may not be likely for many people

PRK: The procedure was totally painless but its well known that the recovery phase is much more difficult. Many people experience a great deal of pain in the form of burning/stinging eyes.. and vision may not stabilise for a while. Personally I can see most objects already, but my up close vision is very poor this is only day 4 though. Reaching optimal vision may take anywhere from 1-3 months, sometimes more. So its not really a popular choice

Anyway, I have been super lucky.. Ive never had a problem with dry eyes so I have not experienced any of the pain or grittiness I was told to expect. Its just such an odd feeling not being able to read things that are right up to my face, haha
Tomorrow I get the bandage contacts out.. I cant wait to see if that improves the blurriness.

So far I wouldnt hesitate to recommend doing it. I can already tell my vision is much improved Before this I couldnt see the time on the digital clock half a metre away from me, but now.... its a whole new world

nibblecell

Re: Pain experience of eye surgery

Postby nibblecell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 am

If you've just about had it with the glasses and contact lenses, perhaps you're considering laser eye surgery to correct your vision. But what does the procedure really entail? What are the risks? And will you have guaranteed perfect vision afterward?

We asked Dr. Sonia Yoo, M.D., professor of ophthalmology at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami Health System, and Dr. James Salz, M.D., a Los-Angeles based refractive and cataract surgeon and clinical spokesperson for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, to answer the questions we've always wondered about getting corrective vision surgery -- specifically, LASIK, which is undergone by about 700,000 Americans a year.

No, though it is the most popular. There are several other options, including photorefractive keratectomy (better known as PRK) which, like LASIK, is used to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. PRK was invented before LASIK, but LASIK is more commonly used than PRK. Both PRK and LASIK involve using a laser to reshape the cornea. The only difference is that LASIK involves making a flap in the cornea, and the laser treatment is actually done to the part under the flap of the cornea, Yoo explains. Meanwhile, with PRK, the laser treatment is done right on the surface of the cornea, without the flap.

exchange

Re: Pain experience of eye surgery

Postby exchange » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 am

Dr. Yaldo was Michigan’s first to perform CATz Lasik, the most precise LASIK treatment available in the world, surpassing even the most advanced wavefront-guided Lasik eye surgery treatment. Read Story.

In over 95% of cases, CATz topography-guided Lasik eye surgery produces “Super-Normal Vision”, which is defined as better than 20-20 vision! The new topography-guided Lasik technology — known as Customized Aspheric Treatment Zone (or “CATz”) — maps the patient’s cornea by measuring nearly 7,000 points of light, versus the approximately 200 points of light measured with traditional wavefront technology.

While just a small number of surgeons in the U.S. are currently trained and certified to offer topography-guided LASIK, the procedure and related technology have been used widely for more than a decade throughout Europe, Asia, and South America. “CATz is by far the most precise LASIK technology available, and it represents a huge leap forward,” notes Dr. Yaldo. “I am proud to have played a role in its development over the past several years. I’m also delighted to be one of the first surgeons in the nation to offer what is now the new gold standard for LASIK.” https://yaldoeyecenter.com/

Return to “Trance”